UPDATE: February 2021 — We have enough candidates for our current needs, but you can fill out the form to be considered for future openings if you choose. Thanks!
THE JOB: Content Writer
Content Direction Agency is seeking a talented, self-driven contract content writer who loves writing about varied topics and excels at managing themselves and clients.
The content writer is responsible for writing weekly content, usually blog posts, for our clients in the client’s brand voice. The content writer must be able to demonstrate that they can write in different brand voices based on a style guide. On our team, each writer is assigned to certain clients and becomes that client’s dedicated writer, ideally for the life of the client relationship.
Writers also serve in a sort of “account manager” capacity. Writers are the main point of contact with the clients after the initial onboarding and need to be able to drive and manage the relationship in order to get the information they need to complete articles and deliver their content in a timely manner.
Our goal is to be an “easy button” content solution for our clients; therefore the writer’s goal over time is to be able to produce content in the client’s voice with minimal input from the client and very few revisions on the client’s end.
The content writer will:
- Get to know each client’s voice and update and manage each client’s voice style guide
- Review and understand the content strategy laid out for each client by the CDA strategists
- Conduct research AND/OR interview clients for information needed to write the content; interviewing skills a plus
- Write content for each client that meets specifications laid out in the strategy, ie: hitting a specific word count, formatting, optimized for SEO, etc.
- Provide clean copy for the client with minimal typos, etc.
- Make any changes the client requests in a timely fashion
- Meet weekly deadlines consistently
- Manage the client, eg: staying in contact with the client to get information needed to write the content, answer questions, refer questions to CDA management when necessary, etc.
- Keep CDA management team advised and up to date about each client weekly through ClickUp and Slack
- Manage tasks in the CDA task management system (ClickUp) and the client’s task management system if requested
- Invoice CDA for your work in a timely manner
- Attend occasional (usually quarterly) team meetings for CDA and occasional (usually quarterly) meetings with each client
The Content Writer’s metrics of success include:
- Producing quality deliverables on time and meeting all deadlines
- Supporting client strategy metrics and goals (ie: optimizing posts for SEO keywords to drive traffic)
- Regular communication with the team
- Client retention
- Consistent contract work — clients typically sign up for 1 post per week for a minimum of 6 months
- Flexible remote work environment
- Free direct deposit (no processing fees)
- Access to educational resources and ongoing trainings
- Bonuses for upselling clients to additional projects
CDA is an all-remote team, and writers are typically freelance contractors. That means you do not have to keep regular working hours for CDA or be online at a particular time of day, assuming your deadlines are met. However, we are a team, and we require that you check in with Slack and ClickUp regularly to keep us up to date on projects and clients.
We are specifically looking for someone interested in taking on at minimum 3 clients (3 blog posts per week, average 500-1,500 words each) ramping up over the next 3 months, with the potential to grow with us beyond that.
The Content Direction Agency exists to help personality-driven brands communicate and connect with their audiences with purpose and clarity through content marketing.
We believe that the best way to help our clients drive sales is through authentic, organic, and values-driven content — and we make it easier to accomplish that. We help clients define goals and metrics for their content marketing so that they can actually see what’s working. When clients work with us, they can stop worrying about their content marketing for the next six months with an editorial calendar and strategy aligned to their business goals and the resources to make it happen.
We also believe in a feminist business model; rather than trying to grab a larger slice of the pie, we just bake a bigger pie. We believe in collaboration, abundance, generosity, sustainability, inclusion, empathy, integrity, mindfulness, and ease and we strive to allow these values to guide our business decisions and practices. We are signatories to the Anti-Racist Business pledge and the Ethical Marketing pledge.
Please fill out the application form below.
We will ask you to provide 3 writing samples that demonstrate you can write in a variety of styles and voices. You can upload files or submit URLs to writing samples on the web.
If you are selected, we will be in touch to set up an interview. If the interview goes well, we will request you write a test post for us and will pay you for your time to do so.
Thanks for your interest!